Monday, March 4, 2013

Barnsong

Seeing the documentation of a previous WISE project was really helpful for understanding what I need to work on for my own project. Even though the project(s) shown were totally different than what I'm aiming to do, there were themes that applied to me as well.
I better understand now how much work a WISE project entails - and that that work isn't always successful the first time. At one point during the video, the student mentioned, "Things take longer than expected." This rings so true - I think I sometimes set my expectations too high, and realize that what I've planned isn't realistic. It was also really helpful to see that - as the student in the video said - the success is really in the knowledge gained, not the completion of the project. It's relieving to know that even if I have set the bar too high, and don't manage to finish in the time limit, it's not like an automatic YOU FAIL, or even a rare occurrence type thing.
The video did raise a question for me - how do students deal with cost restrictions? This doesn't apply at all to my project, so I hadn't put much thought into it, but it was brought up in the video, and when I was glancing through the finished project I was assigned to respond to, I saw journal entries about parts that cost thousands of dollars. Most people don't have that sort of money just lying around, so I'm curious as to how this kind of barrier is overcome.
After seeing this video, I do feel more comfortable with my project goal, because I'm not as stressed about what will happen if I don't manage it. However, I also feel like I really need to get to work, because I saw how much effort the student in the video put into his project, and that makes me feel like I've been slacking. I really need to get down to it and put in the effort to pull this whole thing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment